Palomino Vines is expanding our team. We are looking for an individual who finds great joy in working with plants, a true plantsperson, who loves plants for their own sake and knows how to, or wants to learn how to cherish them, who is concerned with and is willing to take part in advocating for the protection of the environment, who is hard-working, motivated, innovative, and is a collaborative individual who will value and support the legacy of sustainable environmental practices, and wants to further their accomplishments in agricultural.
This position is a seasonal, full time, Monday through Friday position. The start and stop dates may be subject to change.
The qualifications listed below are representative of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This position does not require previous experience in a vineyard, but does require a willingness to learn, follow directions, ask questions for clarification and understanding, and to be able to perform all duties and responsibilities with efficiency and accuracy. Training will be provided throughout employment.
- Age: Be at least 18 years of age.
- Education: At least a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Language: Must have enough fluency in the English language to understand all physical requirements, duties and responsibilities, and training instructions.
- Be able to create a safe and respectful work environment following all safety rules, COVID 19 precautions and directives, and employment policies.
- Must be punctual, arriving at work on time, and be prepared to work.
- Must be able to provide truthful work-related information such as, time-cards, personal payroll information in a timely and efficient manner.
- Because one of the owners has a compromised immune system due to cancer, all employees are asked to be fully vaccinated for COVID 19.
- Ability to work independently, with little or no supervision at times.
- Must have had a farming background, experience working in a vineyard or an agricultural environment, and/or college education in biology, horticulture, agriculture, or viticultural.
- Must have a current, valid driver’s license. Proof will be requested.
- Must understand that the position of Vineyard Worker is a seasonal position with a contract start and end time to the season.
- Must understand that this position is a seasonal position: April 4, 2022 through October 27, 2022. Season may extend longer due to Harvest Time
- Must understand that the position is dependent on appropriate working conditions, therefore if the weather is un-fit for work (rain, snow, wind, or mud, etc.) or the air quality index is above 150, there will be no work during that time period.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. A reasonable accommodation, if available, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Must be able to work outdoors in extremes of heat/humidity/cold and other inclement weather conditions.
- Must be able to stand/walk safely for sustained periods of time through difficult conditions such as: uneven ground, mud, soft dirt, rocks, etc.
- Must be able to perform physical tasks on a regular, full-time basis.
- Must be able to see, speak, listen, hear, lift, move, carry, walk, pull, push, stack, reach, climb/stand on ladders, and use arms, hands, and fingers effectively while working for long periods of time.
- Must be able to see clearly enough to a) drive safely b) examine for pests/diseases on vines.
- Must be able to lift/move/carry up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis.
- Once trained, must be able to safely and effectively operate various tools and equipment, including a tractor and UTV.
- Must not be under the influence of illegal drugs or alcohol at any time while at work. Employee will face immediate dismissal.
- Clothing: Must be able to dress and wear shoes that are appropriate to protect the body from the demands of the outdoor weather and work environment duties and responsibilities. The wearing of flipflops, sandals, open-toed shoes are prohibited for safety reasons. Clothing recommendations include:
- Layered clothing to be ready for weather changes.
- Jeans, hiking pants, Bermuda hiking shorts.
- Protective hat-intern will be in the sun all day.
- Have a sweat-shirt and/or coat available if it becomes cold.
- Must wear a protective N95 or KN95 face mask when working in the vineyard while spraying of any agent is taking place, when the wind is creating blowing dust storms, and/or when the “Air Quality Index” is above 100. Employee may also be asked to wear a protective mask to meet COVID precautions. Masks will be provided.
- Recommended-Use of Sunscreen to protect from sunburn.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties include but are not limited to, performing all tasks related to vineyard maintenance.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Hands-on involvement in every facet of the vineyard operation including, removing dead vines and roots, planting new vines, staking, hoeing, raking, digging, perimeter maintenance, pruning, tying, sucker removal, trellis work, canopy management, de-leafing, placing protective mats and rocks around vines, picking grapes at harvest, etc.
- Assist with soil/water/temperature research, data collection, and special projects when necessary.
- Assist in recording data and observations to meet sustainable and environmentally safe practices.
- Assist with irrigation needs.
- Assist with spraying of organic herbicides and pesticides, disease prevention sprays, frost protectant, etc.
- Survey vineyard conditions, monitor and record the presence of pests and disease
- Collect fruit samples for maturation analysis.
- Perform basic cleanup, repair, and maintenance duties as related to the vineyard, such as removing tumble weeds, weeds, trash etc. from the vineyard, clean-up of vineyard equipment, tractor, UTV, etc., repairing broken irrigation equipment, fence repair, trellis repair, taking out and putting away of all tools, cleaning of storage areas, communicating with owners on any safety issues, broken tools/equipment, and/or filling equipment with gas/diesel, etc…
Days/Hours of Work
Monday through Friday – April 4, 2022-October 27, 2022 (Season may extend longer depending on Harvest Time)
- April/May – 8:30 am to 5 pm with ½ hour unpaid lunch
- June through October – 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 with ½ hour unpaid lunch
- Harvest Time – Hours of work will vary – day may begin before dawn
Pay for Employment
- Hourly wages will vary according to skill level and previous employment
- Minimum Wage is $18.00/hour with possible increases based on previous experience, education, and performance evaluations.