Palomino Vines is expanding our team. We are looking for an individual who finds great joy in working with plants, a true plantsperson, who loves plants for their own sake and knows how to, or wants to learn how to cherish them, who is concerned with and is willing to take part in advocating for the protection of the environment, who is hard-working, motivated, innovative, and is a collaborative individual who will value and support the legacy of sustainable environmental practices, and wants to further their accomplishments in agricultural.
This position is a seasonal, full time, Monday through Friday position. The start and stop dates may be subject to change.
The qualifications listed below are representative of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This position does not require previous experience in a vineyard, but does require a willingness to learn, follow directions, ask questions for clarification and understanding, and to be able to perform all duties and responsibilities with efficiency and accuracy. Training will be provided throughout employment.
- Age: Be at least 18 years of age.
- Education: Be currently enrolled in an accredited college and at least successfully passed a 3-unit class course with a B or better. Proof will be requested.
- Language: Must have excellent verbal and communication skills in fluent English.
- Be able to create a safe and respectful work environment following all safety rules, COVID 19 precautions and directives, and employment policies.
- Must be punctual, arriving at work on time, and be prepared to work.
- Must be able to provide truthful work-related information such as, time cards, personal payroll information in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to work independently, with little or no supervision at times.
- Must have a current, valid NV driver’s license. Proof will be requested.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an intern to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. A reasonable accommodation, if available, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Must be able to work outdoors in extremes of heat/humidity/cold and other inclement weather conditions.
- Must be able to stand/walk safely for sustained periods of time through difficult conditions such as: uneven ground, mud, soft dirt, rocks, etc.
- Must be able to perform physical tasks on a regular, full-time basis.
- Must be able to see, speak, listen, hear, lift, move, carry, walk, pull, push, stack, reach, climb/stand on ladders, and use arms, hands, and fingers effectively while working for long periods of time.
- Must be able to see clearly enough to a) drive safely b) examine for pests/diseases on vines.
- Must be able to lift/move/carry up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis.
- Once trained, must be able to safely and effectively operate various tools and equipment, including a tractor and farm equipment.
- Clothing: Must be able to dress and wear shoes that are appropriate to protect the body from the demands of the outdoor weather and work environment duties and responsibilities. The wearing of flipflops, sandals, open-toed shoes are prohibited for safety reasons. Clothing recommendations include:
- Layered clothing to be ready for weather changes.
- Jeans, hiking pants, Bermuda hiking shorts.
- Protective hat-intern will be in the sun all day.
- Have a sweat-shirt and/or coat available if it becomes cold.
- Must wear a protective mask, at all times, when working in the vineyard-mask will be provided. This is to protect intern from the dust in the vineyard and meet COVID precautions.
- Recommended-Use of Sunscreen to protect from sunburn.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties include but are not limited to, performing all tasks related to vineyard maintenance.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Hands-on involvement in every facet of the vineyard operation including, removing dead vines and roots, planting new vines, staking, hoeing, raking, digging, perimeter maintenance, pruning, tying, sucker removal, trellis work, canopy management, de-leafing, placing protective mats and rocks around vines, picking grapes at harvest, etc.
- Assist with soil/water/temperature research, data collection, and special projects when necessary.
- Assist in recording data and observations to meet sustainable and environmentally safe practices.
- Assist with irrigation needs.
- Assist with spraying of organic herbicides and pesticides, disease prevention sprays, frost protectant, etc.
- Survey vineyard conditions, monitor and record the presence of pests and disease.
- Collect fruit samples for maturation analysis.
- Perform basic cleanup, repair, and maintenance duties as related to the vineyard, such as removing tumble weeds, weeds, trash etc. from the vineyard, clean up of vineyard equipment, tractor, UTV, etc., repairing broken irrigation equipment, fence repair, trellis repair, taking out and putting away of all tools, cleaning of storage areas, communicating with owners on any safety issues, broken tools/equipment, and/or filling equipment with gas/diesel, etc.